Extra! Extra! I'm a feminist!

It seems like nowadays people come up with names for every thing, as if it is mandatory to give things a specific terminology even those that do not really exist, like inverted racism (there is no such thing, right?). The same happens with feminism. Growing up I was often and still am asked what was/is the opposite of feminism, suggesting the correct answer is chauvinism. Breaking news: it is not. Women are treated unfairly almost since ever, yet everytime someone brings up the topic of feminism there is always that random guy in the back row whining about it like "What about men's rights?". Well, what about calming down your ego?. I guess what makes some men itchy about feminism is the «femin-» part, as if the word itself is an attack on their masculinity. In those men's minds, it is somehow inconceivable to support a movement made by women, even though it is not made just for women, but for men as well. The fact that some choose to be ignorant rather than listen to what we have to say is a clear reflection of their own frailty. Howsoever, women are still perceived as the weaker sex. What an irony, right?
Contrary to what some might think, the feminist movement is not about chasing men around with pitchforks at all. It is about women being equal to men politically, economically and socially. Quite simple, isn't it? However, people always find a way to twist things and give them bad connotations. It is easy to point a finger on what we do not know, yet hard to admit we can be wrong in fact. I know the struggle myself because I also had to leave behind everything I thought I knew about it and it was the best thing I have ever done.


I have always been an opinative person, but as I entered the so-called "adulthood", I realized my convictions were getting stronger day by day. I started reading more, investigating more and also questioning things even more. It triggered a reality deconstructing process, if that makes sense. I was working on my "self" by breaking down all the patterns and dogmas that were imposed to me throughout my whole life as a girl. That curiosity sparked in me an interest by feminist studies like I never felt for any other matter. That was when I realized: I am a feminist. And even more important than that, I felt like I had to take action. I had to speak on women versus men disparities not just because it affects me directly, but also because it wheights on society as a whole. I had to put it all in words and make them be heard.
Since gender equality issues have always been so trivialized, it is normal that most of us young adults are oblivious to that concept, at least until we come across it. Happily, today the issue is being much more discussed, though we still have a long path to go through as a society. It is time to abolish some behaviors. For example, the entire system of courtesy towards women must end in order to break with the idea that women need men to offer them protection. Unfortunately, that happens to turn on us, females, when it comes to fighting for our rights. Moreover, the whole "ladie's night" concept is not beneficial for women as many like to brag about, and it assuredly does not benefit us; it is a scam that actually uses females as a bait to attract males into a club and then profit from them by objectifying us. Also, sexual harassment is a real problem and has to be stopped at all costs, starting with the (not so) simple act of catcalling or even touching us unwittingly under the excuse of a full subway.
It is an ongoing battle. Women must unite and empower themselves instead of pinning each other down. No more "boys will be boys" nor "wifey versus side hoe material". Enough of "he will change for the right girl" there is no such thing as "right girl"; women are not babysitters. And even though the journey might be tough... so are we.

Comentários